2014年7月6日日曜日

Girl with a Pearl Earring

I finished reading girl with a pearl earring written by Tracy Chevalier, which I chose as a summer reading.

This is a story about how Johannes Vermeer came to drew the painting of girl with a pearl earring.
This novel takes style of first-person narrative of Griet, the model of the painting.
The setting is 17th century Delft, Nederland. Sixteen-year-old Griet starts working at Vermeer's house as a maid for help her family, and become fascinated by his paintings and himself...

While reading this novel, I attracted by unique characters; Griet, another maid she works with, Vermeer, his wife, his mother-in-law, his children, a butcher's son, and Griet's own parents and siblings.
The basis of this story is romance between Griet and Vermeer, but circumstance around them and other characters make it more vivid.
And I think Chevalier's close historical research also gave reality to it. The values and customs are described well, and I could feel the atmosphere of that time.

But most of all, I admire Chevalier's great imagination. Though I'm not used to reading books in English, I could enjoy this book.
There is also a movie that based on this book, so I wanted to see it too.
Although I finished assignment already, I have plenty of time yet, so I want to read more English book during the summer vacation.



2 件のコメント:

  1. Congratulations on finishing a whole novel...with time to spare. Any idea what the next book will be?

    返信削除
    返信
    1. Actually I've already read some other books. And I'll upload my impression of them later.

      削除